Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Reflection


M.C. Escher (Dutch, 1898-1972)
Hand with Reflecting Sphere, 1935
lithograph
Rosenwald Collection
All M.C. Escher works © Cordon Art-Baarn-the Netherlands.
1964.8.743 - National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.
educational, non-commercial use

Check out more details of the image.

An interesting reflection on the self. Escher was one of my favorite artists as a child, surely due to his work's quirky and illusory nature. I was perpetually fascinated by the play of direction and shape. Escher looks out of the sphere at the viewer who is himself. The inclusion of the sphere throws the immediate appearance out of wack. The juxtaposition of the hands due to the reflection as well as the fact that this is a lithograph which in turn makes the image a reflection of what Escher drew. I did a reflective portrait my freshman year of college (wish I had an image of it to share, it still hangs in my mom's hallway). I chose to use the reflection of myself in my flute. We were required to create a distorted portrait, the shape of the flute elongating my face. Mine was limited to one level of reflection (done in pastel) but the idea of distortion, brought it to mind.



No comments: