Monday, August 11, 2008

Subjects at Home


Today's work is:

The Red Kerchief: Portrait of Mrs. Monet, Claude Monet
(French, 1840 - 1926) 1868-1878
Cleveland Museum of Art 1958.39

I have only attached a link here (click on the title) today because I need to be a little better regarding copyright issues. Please let me know if you are having any trouble with the links. This work is on the cover of a book by Ruth Butler, Hidden in the Shadow of the Master : The Model-Wives of Cezanne, Monet, & Rodin. Currently on my list of books to read it looks like an intriguing study of the lives of women living in in some of the greatest shadows there could be. I am posting an image of the cover of the book though. I would definitely head over to Cleveland's site for a better view and play around a bit in their collections.

For those who study art or are just really curious, the Cleveland Museum of Art offers for free the ability to create personal online collections of their work on their website at Personal Collections.

I just find it great that many of the things that were previously only offered to affiliates of institutions are becoming accessible to the general public. I have yet to visit the Cleveland Museum of Art but I do hope to get there soon. Must take advantage of what Ohio has to offer while I am here (that and vote in a swing state!).

Wishing you a great week! Are you watching the Olympics? You should be. The men's 4x1 relay last night? Brilliance. Worth the hour of sleep I lost.

No comments: