Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kirchner

Peasant Woman with Boy at Table (Bäuerin mit Knaben am Tisch). (1917).
Ernst Ludwig Kirchner. (German, 1880-1938)
Woodcut, composition: 19 11/16 x 15 11/16" (50 x 39.8 cm); sheet: 22 7/16 x 17 1/2" (57 x 44.5 cm). Publisher: unpublished. Printer: the artist, Davos-Frauenkirch, Switzerland. Edition: 11 known impressions. Gift of Grace Borgenicht. © by Ingeborg & Dr. Wolfgang Henze-Ketterer, Wichtrach/Bern
Museum of Modern Art

Current exhibition at MoMA is Kirchner and the Berlin Street. This work isn't related to the show, but definitely check the show out if you are in nyc and if not, check out the online exhibition. While online exhibitions are not as good as the real thing, the growth of them is an awesome way to get access more easily. Especially with thematic shows, being able to just sit and work through an exhibition with text is a great learning tool. Of course I was tipped off to this via a great catalog which I spent a little too much time with this afternoon. Now why did I choose this woodcut for today? If you haven't read or heard I am currently obsessed with prints and these dramatic black and white woodcuts blow me completely away (we're starting woodcuts next week and goodness knows what I'll do with the technique, if it is remotely showable, I'll share it).

There seems to be a problem with MoMA's website so I have no additional link to the image right now, but I'll include it when I can.

No comments: