Friday, May 8, 2009

Blackware


Jar, 1939
Maria Montoya Martinez (1880-1980) and Julian Martinez.
Native American
Blackware, 11 1/8 x 13 in. (dia.)
National Museum of Women in the Arts
Image: Anchorage Public Library (had a better image than on the museum site, same piece though)


Martinez spent her entire life in the San Ildefonso Pueblo in northern New Mexico, about 20 miles from Santa Fe.

I don't know a lot about pottery and ceramics, I tend to leave that up to Ben but my love for the beauty and craft has always existed and I am slowly working up a knowledge about technique (via Ben too :). I love the black on black in this work (called Blackware).

Check out this link for details on how the Martinez' turn their local clay black to get this wonderful glassy, flat black surface.


No comments: