Monday, September 28, 2009

Queen Elizabeth I

Queen Elizabeth I
"The Darnley Portrait", c. 1575.
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, circa 1575
44 1/2 in. x 31 in. (1130 mm x 787 mm)

© National Portrait Gallery, London.
image: http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/elizface2.htm

Ah, Queen Elizabeth I, the subject of many a wonderful portrait. I discovered this wonderful website full of portraits of this historical figure in her early, mid and late years. I wandered through all of them trying to pic a favorite. "The Darnley Portrait" won out. Looks like I have a good eye, as this is considered one of the best portraits of Elizabeth and one of the few thought to be painted from life (which might have something to do with the richer element of realism in her face).

The attribution, "The Darnley Portrait" is after a previous owner of the painting.

No comments: