Monday, January 4, 2010

Mobile matrix

Gabriel Orozco (Mexican, b.1962)
Mobile Matrix, 2006
whale skeleton, graphite
Exhibition December 13, 2009 - March 1, 2010 at the
Museum of Modern Art Exhibition website
images by me

So, I've definitely got art on the brain. I managed to get to 4 museums during my 3-day NYC jaunt last week (I always aim for more but museum fatigue is not a myth!) Most falls into the contemporary realm so I'll scatter my new fascinations with some early periods!

Always interested in what I will find in the atrium of the Museum of Modern Art, I was intrigued by Orozco's Mobile Matrix. Created for the Jose Vasconcelos Library in Mexico City, the installation was de-installed and re-installed in MoMA's atrium. The skeleton of a great whale was excavated from a beach. The cleaned up skeleton was then covered in concentric circles of graphite.

Orozco had used graphite on bone before, Black Kites 1997

Interview with Orozco on the making of Mobile Matrix

Some fantastic shots http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyclovesnyc/4189469944/in/photostream/

No comments: