Monday, August 25, 2008

Pure Landscape


Albrecht Altdorfer (1480?-1538)
Donaulandschaft bei Regensburg mit dem Scheuchenberg =
Danube Landscape c1528
30x22 cm
Alte Pinakothek, Munich

This landscape by Albrecht Altdorfer holds a little space in my history as being the work of art I wrote my first ever critical paper on. Writing that paper (and subsequently getting an A on it :) quickly started my love affair with studying art history and criticism. I barely remember the paper, nor why I chose this landscape painting, just some memories of talking about the blue sky, perspective and the castle nestled in by the mountains in the back.

One of the first "pure landscape" paintings, this is one of possibly only two by Altdorfer that include no figures. Part of the Danube School. A group of painters from the early 16th century working in and around the Danube were some of the first to work in pure landscapes and the use of a more painterly style.

No comments: