Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gaudi

Sagrada Familia
Antoni Gaudi
Barcelona, Spain
1882-present

I spent a lot of time looking for a great shot of this jaw dropping work of architecture. One of the difficulties is (I remember trying to get a good pic of it when I was there) that there is a road directly in front of it and a pond of sorts across the street. Trying to get the entire church as well as some detail proved difficult. I also lost that roll of film, of all those I took on my 3 week romp around Europe!

Categorized with Art Nouveau, but Gaudi's unique and original style stands out.









Photo courtesy of berglas.net

The Sagrada Familia rises almost as a living thing in front of you. A climb to the top induced in me my first experience with vertigo which is so not fun, and while I was happy to get myself back to the ground, my first instinct upon exiting was turn and look back up. The Sagrada Familia looks like a warped form of the Gothic, with its edge and high reaching spires.

The church was left unfinished upon Gaudi's death in 1926 and architects are still working on completing it today based on Gaudi's plan and studies.

Check out a virtual completion of the cathedral here.
If you are intrigued I recommend checking out google images for some more Gaudi photos.

1 comment:

DopeTasticQ said...

i still hope to see it in its completed glory before i die!