Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Eve

Eve and the Apple II, 1968
David C. Driskell
Woodcut
18.25" x 12.75"
Maryland Printmakers

Another discovery from an exhibition catalog I spent some time with. A new artist for me, David C. Driskell, I fell for Driskell's prints. Unfortunately I haven't found a lot of them online, so if you can get a hold of a book of his work I highly recommend it.

I love woodcuts (form of relief printing) one of the few printmaking techniques I can easily recognize, the distinctiveness of the cuts, their ruggedness, is what I am drawn to. I am looking forward to learning how to do them myself in a few weeks in my printmaking class, if anything it will give me a bit more exposure to the art making process and I can enjoy Driskell's and others' works even more. The style of Eve and the Apple, its cubist formed head, brings thoughts of Picasso,yet the rest of the image veers from that. The sleek and simpleness of Eve's torso is realistic.

Enjoy!


No comments: