Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Vampire

Vampire
Edvard Munch
1894

This excellent painting by Edvard Munch was inspired by one of the websites I have an RSS feed to and keep on: artdaily.org
About to go up for auction at Sotheby's (got a few extra bucks?) this fantastically creepy painting by the man who you are more likely to know by his famous painting, The Scream (so famous versions have been stolen more than once) is one of my favorites of his. The work was incredibly provocative in its day and happily still is with its themes of love, sex and death (now that would make a pretty exciting theme week wouldn't it?, Goya and more here we come). Those of you who know me well, know my affinity for things vampire related. Though a brief search of info brings up a debate as to whether the vampire theme was intended at all. Maybe I'll do some further research in the future.

Check out the artdaily link above and read about the great story behind the inception of this painting. I'll keep an eye out in October to see how much it sells for, it's expected to get as much as $35 mil.

No comments: