Friday, February 6, 2009

Trevi Fountain

Trevi Fountain, 1732-1762
Nicola Salvi, completed by Guiseppe Panini and artists from the Bernini School.
marble
Rome, Italy
Public Art Around the World


I've focused on contemporary, public art this week and left out an entire world and history of public art. Much public art often passes us by, that statue in front of a state house, in a park, commemorations, another guy on a horse. I admit to breezing by much of this kind of public sculpture unless I am particularly interested in the subject. Public art has of course been a strong leader in the world of art for thousands of years.

Today, the Trevi Fountain. Rome, and much of Italy is oozing with public art. I should have my own photos of it but I cannot seem to find my photo album from my whirlwind Europe trip in college. I
Image: Travel plan idea blog
haven't gotten too much into the logistics of the process of getting art out there, but most work you will find like the Trevi Fountain was commissioned by a governmental body (very unlike the lengthy difficult time Christo and Jeanne-Claude had getting permission for their own project. This is also an excellent example of the iconic status a work of public art can attain.

An interesting incident involving the fountain in 2007 Turning the Trevi Fountain Red
Image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trevi_Fountain_wide.jpg

No comments: