Sunday, July 27, 2008

Unique Forms

Umberto Boccioni. (Italian, 1882-1916). Unique Forms of Continuity in Space. 1913 (cast 1931). Bronze, 43 7/8 x 34 7/8 x 15 3/4" (111.2 x 88.5 x 40 cm). Acquired through the Lillie P. Bliss Bequest

I went through some of the images I have in my "art" folder on my computer today and came across a favorite sculpture. Displayed in a small room at MoMA alongside other Futurism works, Boccioni's sculpture is one I always make my way through the throngs to see. Despite the weightiness of the bronze the sculptural movement creates the sense the sense that the figure will walk off at any moment.

The title, despite many years of trying I can never consistently get right in my memory, could be attributed to most of the paintings and sculptures in the room. The Italian Futurists were interested in exposing and embracing the burgeoning Industrial present of the early 20th century in their work, attempting to break from the conventional artistic past of Italy.

Happy Monday!

No comments: